06 August 2010

hygiene and living in the field.

Okay, I admit it. I'm a bit vain. I like looking good. But as I learned at LDAC this summer, when you're living in the field for a week without a shower, and then for another week just for shits and giggles, it becomes more work than it's worth to try to "look good". Nor is there really a point to it, since you're just going to get dirty within minutes of wiping your entire body down with baby wipes. But here's a few lessons I learned.

Some girls washed their hair in the field. Apparently, they felt "amazing" afterward. I didn't partake of this lovely luxury, however - I did not have a towel, or shampoo of any sort, because I was a fool and packed some things away in my duffel bag when I should have had them with me in my ruck sack. We didn't even see our duffel bags for a week - and my toothbrush was in it. That is another story, however. My lesson when it comes to washing (or not washing) your hair in the field is this - dirty hair attracts less bugs. Dirty hair retains healthy, natural oils that help your hair stay stronger during stressful times (I lost less hair than usual to breakage while wearing my k-pot). And as long as you brush your hair out every day before bed, there isn't even really any need to use that no-water spray or powder shampoo. My hair didn't even feel that greasy after a week, but it sure felt good to wash it afterward. All in all, I left LDAC with better hair than what I came with. Totally unexpected.

Uh, anyway. Back to brushing one's teeth. I am not ashamed to say that I had to use (unscented) baby wipes to brush my teeth for a week. Pack your toothbrush and toothpaste IN YOUR RUCK. If you can brush your teeth every day, you end up simply -feeling- cleaner.

My anti-acne secret: Clearasil Ultra Deep Pore Cleansing Pads. One of my battle buddies at LTC last summer encouraged me to get them, because her acne occasionally got really bad during training (I mean, everyone sweats like pigs out there) but these pads cleared it right up within days. I used several of these babies a day and didn't have a single breakout. Following up this astringent chemical wash with an unscented baby wipe helped retain some moisture, too. Granted, you'll be a bit squicked when you see how much dirt your face collects over the course of a single day in the field, but dang, it feels SO good to get it off at night. That's what she said.

Also remember to bring a nail clipper and perhaps a file. My nails were disgusting after just a couple days, and I was constantly digging the dirt out with my knife. But keeping your nails short and clean will help you feel just that much cleaner, even if you're really not.

One of the things that helped me feeling feminine during our mock deployment was, believe it or not, my deodorant. Okay, I sweat. A lot. And I was lucky enough to FINALLY find a chemical composition of that aluminum chloride antiperspirant shit that kept me from having sweat literally dripping down my sides, since I finally realized that not all deodorants are created equal... I have to use the trichloride rather than the tetrachloride, for example. At any rate - I bought a really girly smelling sport deodorant/antiperspirant. I felt pretty good 'cause I didn't have to smell like a boy just 'cause I was rolling in the mud with 'em!

In closing - always remember to wash your feet (and put powder on, for goodness sakes, keeps you from getting blisters), wash your crotch, wash your underarms, and PLEASE wash out any cuts and scrapes you get in the field. Bring enough t-shirts and socks to last a week. Bring band-aids and moleskin and a knife or scissors. Pack your toothbrush in your rucksack. Do field hygiene every day, no matter how short on time you are. And most importantly - everyone else is feeling just as nasty as you are. It's totally okay. Your tent will smell like ass, but at least it won't be as bad as the guys' tent. And if you are one of the guys - sorry in advance. Y'all are gonna stink. Deal with it. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment